Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Good Samaritan

I have been fortunate in my life to run into my share of good Samaritans when I have needed one. Not always, but more than my fair share. Late last night on a multi lane highway, we saw a car in front of us loose control and smash int a jersey wall.

How the driver did this I don't know. The pavement was dry. Maybe she was distracted, maybe she was tired, maybe she was on drugs, medication or was drunk. Maybe it was just bad luck. Anyway the how didn't really matter. Was the driver OK? Were there other passengers? I instructed my wife who was driving to pull over.

I dialed 911 on my cell phone. The dispatcher transferred me to the state police..while this was taking place I had started walking toward the vehicle. I saw the vehicle start to move a little bit and the driver got out. She was a young lady probably in her 20s. She said she was OK and was going to drive away..

So she was gone before I could give all the details to the police. However, the important thing is I decided to stop and see if I could help. I was amazed she was not injured and was able to drive away. A tribute to safety features in newer vehicles.

No comments: