Thursday, April 30, 2009

More Classic Reads

Updating a theme from this post http://mikespainwrites.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-ive-been-readingfiction.html, I thought I would update anyone who cares on what I have been reading. I have been reading a lot lately 9 books this month, 18 for the year. They range from self-help, to some Buddhist reflections, to stories of the seas, business and fiction. The linked post was more about classics and I would like to keep on that subject.

First up is "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson. The short book written in 1886 is definitely a classic. I enjoyed the read but it was a little slow for me to get into since it was written in 1886, not the authors fault..just a time fault. I did enjoy how the book took a look at the dual nature of man(probably true for woman as well). This book is supposedly a darker side of the author as well from his other books. I am sure I will check out some of his other books in the future.

The second classic is Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five." This book is a bit more modern having been published in 1969. Again I was slow to get into this book, but once in I was definitely locked in. The book is mainly about war, but there is time traveling sci-fi theme too. The book takes on flaws in humans. Considering when the book was written America was in Vietnam, the book shows the dark side of war and how unfortunately war will continue.

Again both of these books and authors were new to me, so it was like discovering something new.

No comments: