Saturday, February 11, 2012

R.I.P. Whitney Houston

Sad news Whitney Houston passed away. Her golden years in pop were basically they years of myself coming to age. She died a handful of years older than me. Still too young to die. Don't really know how she died but here is an AP article on her death.

How she died isn't really that important. She is gone. However, she did leave us a legacy of music and movies. Even though my musical taste is more of the Bodyguards taste in her movie I can appreciate and celebrate her legacy. It is a shame we lost her on Black History Month  but it is a perfect time to celebrate her contribution to that history.

In the Mid-Eighties she had big hits like "How Will I know," "Saving All My Love For You," "Greatest Love of All," "I Wanna Dance With Somebody," "Didn't We Almost Have it All," "So Emotional," and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go." All of which were number one hits.

Video for "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" from YouTube:


She had success in the 90's as well. "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "All the Man That I Need," "I Will Always Love You," and "Exhale" all went number one. "Exhale" was her last number one in 1995. In 1999 "Heartbreak Hotel" went number two.

Video for "Exhale" from Youtube:



She even had a top 10 hit with the "Star Spangled Banner" in 2001. Here she is singing the National Anthem from Youtube:


She starred in the mega hit movie "The Bodyguard." She also starred in "Waiting to Exhale," "The Preacher's Wife," and "Sparkle" which is scheduled to come out this year.

"I Will Always Love You" from "The Bodyguard" via Youtube:


Whitney Houston a talent that will be missed thasks for the memories and songs you leave behind.

No comments: