Monday, September 30, 2013

The Government, Music as a Medicine, and Schools

This post has nothing to do with the government shutdown. The shutdown will either happen or not happen. The shutdown will also pass in the short term. What this post is about is the medical benefits of music, how music could disappear and how the government is involved. What has inspired me to write this blog was the Mickey Hart visit with the Congressional Neuroscience Caucus along with Dr. Adam Gazzaley. 

I first became aware of Mickey Hart by his percussion and drumming for the Grateful Dead. I gained even more respect for Mickey Hart by reading his book Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey into the Spirit of Percussion. I am not familiar with Dr. Gazzaley but I am sure he has some great credentials. Below is a bit about Mickey from last year. It is a bit far out, about the cosmos, vibrations and the healing powers.


So obviously the government is aware of the healing powers of music. However schools are constantly taking music (and other arts) out of the curriculum. I wonder if this trend continues if we will lose music and it's healing powers. It is almost like finding a miracle cure in an endangered species. We need the possibilities, we need the medical advancements, and we need the music.

I'll leave you with one final video..





No comments: