Monday, March 31, 2014

A to Z Challenge: A is for Allman Brothers

The Allman Brothers Band have announced they are calling it quits after this year. I guess the road does not go on for ever for the band. Then again perhaps maybe forever has reached its end.

With Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks  announcing they were leaving the band, I can see why they would call it a career..



Above was a clip of Warren and Derek performing "Old Friend."  Okay, I'll put an Allman Brothers song or two in this blog. I'll start out with one of my favorites..


I wrote about the Allman Brothers on Yahoo Voices about them being one of my Top 10 Jam Bands which you can read here. They also made the cut as being one of Top 10 Southern Rock Bands which you can read here.



Did I get a chance to see The Allman Brothers Band live? Yes I was lucky enough to see them on back to back nights at The Wanee Festival in 2011..


My thoughts on the festival can be read here. I would recommend going this year if you want to see The Allman Brothers, info on Wanee can be found here.


Above is Whipping Post from last year's festival.The band is a classic and they will be missed. I am sure there might be a reunion or something down the road, maybe just to grab a peach or something!

Anyway I am back for the A to Z April Blogging Challenge and this is my first post. I hope you enjoy and come back and visit soon!

3 comments:

CA Clark said...

Happy A to Z ing Mike. Maybe the band dissolving could be the beginning of something fundamentally awesome.

kjmckendry said...

Wow I didn't know they were still together! It's pretty neat they stayed together for so long. Happy A-Z!

Anonymous said...

They must have been amazing to hear live. I've never thought of them as a jam band but now that you mention it Trey Anastasio does sound a lot like Greg (it's Greg on guitar, right?) when he gets going. Bummer they split, but hey, look at Paul and Ringo, it's never too late for a reunion show.