Monday, January 26, 2015

Sam Smith's Stay With Me and Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down

Almost like an in between Battle of the Bands. Sam Smith and Tom Petty have come to an agreement over Smith's song "Stay With Me." Apparently it is too close to Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down." Under the agreement Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne will receive 12.5% of the song royalties each as co-writers. According to several sources including USA Today.

         To be honest I am a bigger fan of Tom Petty's music than I am of Sam Smith's music.             However with that being said I do think Sam Smith is a talented vocalist and his song "Stay with Me" is a beautiful pop song. Take a listen for yourself...


I also like Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down." Though musically the songs may be similar I find the content of the two songs and the overall sound to be quite different.


What are your thoughts? 

1 comment:

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Sam Smith - bluesy and love this! Heard his album over at Cathy's (Curious as a Cathy), about a week back.

Tom Petty is rock 'n roll on this...Like you said, some similarities, but... they don't remind me of each other.

It would have been a interesting battle at that. Thanks, Mike.