Sunday, November 13, 2016

R.I.P Leon Russell

I was considering going to see Leon Russell on Tuesday at the local music club, I missed him the last time he was in town. He was scheduled to open for a group I was interested in seeing in January. So, I thought I had a couple of chances to catch him. Now I will never get catch him live as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame passed away at the age of 74.

The songs he left behind are the greatest gift the songwriter could leave. Amazingly over 100 acts have covered his song "A Song For You." As I listen it to it now I find it just as haunting as I find it beautiful.


One of his own hits "Lady Blue"..


"Tight Rope" was another hit...


I guess "Good Time Charlie's got the Blues"..


What's your favorite Leon Russell song? Do you have a memory? Feel free to share in the comments. Leon Russell may you R.I.P. 

3 comments:

Liz A. said...

And another one gone. So sad.

John Holton said...

I always liked "This Masquerade." George Benson did it well, but Leon's was particularly good. I liked his piano and guitar work with Joe Cocker on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour as well. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Arlee Bird said...

Sad passing. Leon did some great music.


Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out